Search This Blog

Who I amReside in St. Louis Missouri currently, Lived in California & Colorado.Husband.Father.Pastor.Football Enthusiast.Teacher.Learner.Dreamer.Reader.Friend. [thoughts & comments blogged here are my reflections living life trusting Jesus as God]

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

10 Years

This past summer was a milestone for my wife and I.  We've lived in California for 10 years.  It's been a  crazy decade for our lives and in that decade we've doubled as a family & have learned a few things along the way.  Here are a few musings I was thinking through;


Traffic:  When living in California you gauge how long it'll take you to get from point A to point B by the amount of traffic that'll be on the road.  California has a lot of people that like to be on highways & interstates.  You learn patience and how to use multiple road systems to get where you want to be on time!

Our Boys know nothing else:  Our sons only know life & culture in California.  As they've gotten older and we've shared about what things are like in other states we have lived in they have responded with phrases such as "that's weird", "really, why would they do that", "that's different then here in California".  I have a love/hate feeling about my sons being "California boys".

Consumerism: It's been really fun to be in a demographic where trends are started & fashion is created.  I'm not much of a "keep up with the Joneses" type person but it is fun to be at the front of NEW instead of catching the tail end of the trend.
Ministry can mangle you:  We've been at two different churches in the past 10 years and both of them have left us with some joys & some scars.  Ministry is rough & beautiful all in the same day.  Both settings have allowed me to know & test the type of leader I am as well as confirm my passions for the church & Christ's Kingdom.

Money woes:  We've suffered a foreclosure and lost everything financially we had as a young family.  We're still trying to rebound but the road is long & an uphill battle on a single family income.  We have to make many decisions based on very limited funds and it can be frustrating when you have certain goals & dreams for your family.  I'm still voting we go back to a bartering system way of life!

No comments: