Search This Blog

Who I amReside in St. Louis Missouri currently, Lived in California & Colorado.Husband.Father.Pastor.Football Enthusiast.Teacher.Learner.Dreamer.Reader.Friend. [thoughts & comments blogged here are my reflections living life trusting Jesus as God]

Saturday, December 03, 2011

People I Learn from part 3 of 6



Don Brust--Standards

It's always a little scary asking a man if you can have permission to marry his daughter.  My experience was no different.  My father-in-law is a great man.  He loves pastries, football, ministry & laughter.  But something I've always observed in his life is he is a man of standards.

Be it how you handle conversations, church leadership, marriage, kids, buying a car or choosing the type of paint to use.  Everything has a standard & you want to go for the best.

Don Brust planted a church and for 30+ years was the Senior Pastor.  For 10 years he served a District Superintendent of 80 churches, he was basically a pastor to all the pastors in 5 states with our denomination.  He has a caring heart and a strong willed view on a lot of areas of life.  He loves the local church and has served it well.

I'll never forget sitting on a porch with him, drinking sweet tea or a coke talking about anything and everything.  I'll never forget the assurance he gave me that "his daughter will be in good hands" or the affirmation he gave me after each of my sons were born.  I'll always be indebted to him for sharing the family cinnamon roll recipe as well as all the knowledge he has about being hands on fixing or repairing almost anything.

Don Brust is a man who I respect and has challenged me to live a life that is willing to do the right thing with standards.  I'm grateful he let me marry his daughter as well as accepting me as a son-in-law.


No comments: