Search This Blog

Who I amReside in St. Louis Missouri currently, Lived in California & Colorado.Husband.Father.Pastor.Football Enthusiast.Teacher.Learner.Dreamer.Reader.Friend. [thoughts & comments blogged here are my reflections living life trusting Jesus as God]

Thursday, November 10, 2011

What Do You Do When You Don't Know What To Do?


I love learning.
I love to ask questions to seek insight.
And, I hate not knowing the answers! I hate when people ask me a question and I feel stumped.
In short, I both enjoy being proficient and dislike not knowing what to do or how to do something.
I guess I’ve always been a student. I’ve been in full-time youth ministry for 11 years. I’ve seen a lot, learned a lot, and messed up a lot. I’m still trying to figure out each season of ministry in an effort to be as effective as possible for the Kingdom, my church, and my own ministry team.
Again, I’ve always enjoyed the journey of learning and growing. And I’ve always found myself opposed to the mentality of “we’ve got it figured out so we’re all set.” Why? Because this mindset screams of a lack of motivation and leadership. It’s prideful. The “I know it all” mentality is extremely unhealthy.
So what do we do when we don’t know what to do? What are some steps we take to learn? Looking back, I tend to see myself do these four things when I am looking to know:

I Ask People I Respect

I have a group of people I respect and know that no matter what question I ask of them, they won’t think I’m an idiot. I won’t hear what they have to say as threatening. They are my soundboard and I love the out loud conversations we have together.

I Read

I love learning through reading & reflecting. I read articles or books from people I like (as well as agree with) and I read article or books of people I don’t always like or agree with. I read to evaluate and think. I don’t read to get a warm fuzzy in my tummy.

I Pray

Last I checked the Holy Spirit is better at guiding, directing, creating, convicting, redeeming, and revamping everything in life than I am. But when I pray I HAVE TO LISTEN and not just talk. I need to be willing to submit. And that my friend isn’t always easy . . . but it is worth it.

I Let Go

I let go of the need to feel perfect, competent, or “the best” in the area I’m wrestling or lacking in. I don’t want my feeling of inadequacy or any other feeling to lead me to act like an imbecile based on pride or arrogance! I need to remind myself that I’m still a broken and imperfect being whom God loves and wants to use in a leadership capacity. That doesn’t mean I have to be someone I am not.


So that’s what I do as I seek to learn and grow. What do you do when you don’t know what to do?



No comments: