Search This Blog

Who I amReside in St. Louis Missouri currently, Lived in California & Colorado.Husband.Father.Pastor.Football Enthusiast.Teacher.Learner.Dreamer.Reader.Friend. [thoughts & comments blogged here are my reflections living life trusting Jesus as God]

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Reading

My wife and I sat with our kids principle a week ago to discuss some specifics issues that have & are impacting our family.  That discussion was awesome in large part because of the integrity and heart of our principle.  She is a well educated and amazing woman who cares deeply about the education system & how she wants to try and fix it at least in her school.


During that conversation she shared a stat that blew me away, I never knew this.
In public school from K-3 kids learn to read.  From grade 4-on you read to learn.  So if a student isn't a reader (or helped to become a reader) by age 8 the stats show they'll be a high school dropout or struggle at school for the rest of their life.


After the meeting this statement gave me a gut check as a dad to be sure that my kids are capable of reading.  I do need them to love reading as much as I do, but I wanna be sure I am helping them succeed.


But this also challenged me in regards to their reading the Bible.  I want to help my kids learn to read the Bible, so they can on their read the Bible to grow in love with the character of God.


So from this statement from our public school principle this dad has a lil different way of approaching the quiet times with my boys.  I am stoked to watch this progression in their lives on many different levels!!

No comments: